The secrets of learning a new language Summarize

 Intro

0:13

I love learning foreign languages.

0:16

In fact, I love it so much that I like to learn a new language every two years,

0:20

currently working on my eighth one.

0:22

When people find that out about me, they always ask me,

0:25

"How do you do that? What's your secret?"

0:27

And to be honest, for many years, my answer would be,

0:30

"I don't know. I simply love learning languages."

0:33

But people were never happy with that answer.

0:36

They wanted to know why they are spending years trying to learn even one language,

0:40

never achieving fluency,

0:41

and here I come, learning one language after another.

0:44

They wanted to know the secret of polyglots,

0:46

people who speak a lot of languages.

0:49

And that made me wonder, too,

 

0:50

how do actually other polyglots do it?

0:53

What do we have in common?

0:54

And what is it that enables us

0:56

to learn languages so much faster than other people?

0:59

I decided to meet other people like me and find that out.

1:03

The best place to meet a lot of polyglots

1:05

is an event where hundreds of language lovers

1:08

meet in one place to practice their languages.

1:11

There are several such polyglot events organized all around the world,

1:14

and so I decided to go there

1:15

and ask polyglots about the methods that they use.

Methods

1:19

And so I met Benny from Ireland,

1:21

who told me that his method is to start speaking from day one.

1:26

He learns a few phrases from a travel phrasebook

 

1:29

and goes to meet native speakers

1:30

and starts having conversations with them right away.

1:33

He doesn't mind making even 200 mistakes a day,

1:36

because that's how he learns, based on the feedback.

1:39

And the best thing is, he doesn't even need to travel a lot today,

1:42

because you can easily have conversations with native speakers

1:45

from the comfort of your living room, using websites.

1:48

I also met Lucas from Brazil

1:50

who had a really interesting method to learn Russian.

1:53

He simply added a hundred random Russian speakers on Skype as friends,

1:58

and then he opened a chat window with one of them

2:02

and wrote "Hi" in Russian.

2:05

And the person replied, "Hi, how are you?"

2:07

Lucas copied this and put it into a text window with another person,

2:12

and the person replied, "I'm fine, thank you, and how are you?"

2:15

Lucas copied this back to the first person,

2:18

and in this way, he had two strangers have a conversation with each other

2:22

without knowing about it.

2:23

(Laughter)

2:24

And soon he would start typing himself,

2:26

because he had so many of these conversations

2:28

that he figured out how the Russian conversation usually starts.

2:32

What an ingenious method, right?

2:34

And then I met polyglots who always start by imitating sounds of the language,

2:38

and others who always learn the 500 most frequent words of the language,

2:43

and yet others who always start by reading about the grammar.

Polyglots

2:47

If I asked a hundred different polyglots,

2:49

I heard a hundred different approaches to learning languages.

2:53

Everybody seems to have a unique way they learn a language,

 

2:57

and yet we all come to the same result of speaking several languages fluently.

3:02

And as I was listening to these polyglots telling me about their methods,

3:06

it suddenly dawned on me:

3:08

the one thing we all have in common

3:11

is that we simply found ways to enjoy the language-learning process.

3:17

All of these polyglots were talking about language learning

3:20

as if it was great fun.

3:21

You should have seen their faces

3:23

when they were showing me their colorful grammar charts

3:25

and their carefully handmade flash cards,

3:28

and their statistics about learning vocabulary using apps,

3:31

or even how they love to cook based on recipes in a foreign language.

3:36

All of them use different methods,

3:38

but they always make sure it's something that they personally enjoy.

3:42

I realized that this is actually how I learn languages myself.

3:46

When I was learning Spanish, I was bored with the text in the textbook.

3:49

I mean, who wants to read about Jose

3:51

asking about the directions to the train station. Right?

Enjoy the process

3:54

I wanted to read "Harry Potter" instead,

3:57

because that was my favorite book as a child,

3:59

and I have read it many times.

4:00

So I got the Spanish translation of "Harry Potter" and started reading,

4:04

and sure enough, I didn't understand almost anything at the beginning,

4:07

but I kept on reading because I loved the book,

4:10

and by the end of the book, I was able to follow it almost without any problems.

4:14

And the same thing happened when I was learning German.

4:16

I decided to watch "Friends," my favorite sitcom, in German,

4:20

and again, at the beginning it was all just gibberish.

4:23

I didn't know where one word finished and another one started,

 

4:26

but I kept on watching every day because it's "Friends."

4:29

I can watch it in any language. I love it so much.

4:31

And after the second or third season,

4:33

seriously, the dialogue started to make sense.

4:37

I only realized this after meeting other polyglots.

4:40

We are no geniuses

4:41

and we have no shortcut to learning languages.

4:44

We simply found ways how to enjoy the process,

4:48

how to turn language learning from a boring school subject

4:51

into a pleasant activity which you don't mind doing every day.

4:55

If you don't like writing words down on paper,

4:57

you can always type them in an app.

4:59

If you don't like listening to boring textbook material,

5:02

find interesting content on YouTube or in podcasts for any language.

5:06

If you're a more introverted person

5:08

and you can't imagine speaking to native speakers right away,

5:11

you can apply the method of self-talk.

5:13

You can talk to yourself in the comfort of your room,

5:16

describing your plans for the weekend, how your day has been,

5:19

or even take a random picture from your phone

5:21

and describe the picture to your imaginary friend.

5:25

This is how polyglots learn languages,

5:27

and the best news is, it's available to anyone

5:30

who is willing to take the learning into their own hands.

5:34

So meeting other polyglots helped me realize

5:36

that it is really crucial to find enjoyment

5:39

in the process of learning languages,

5:41

but also that joy in itself is not enough.

5:45

If you want to achieve fluency in a foreign language,

5:48

you'll also need to apply three more principles.

Effective methods

5:51

First of all, you'll need effective methods.

5:55

If you try to memorize a list of words for a test tomorrow,

5:58

the words will be stored in your short-term memory

6:01

and you'll forget them after a few days.

6:03

If you, however, want to keep words long term,

6:06

you need to revise them in the course of a few days repeatedly

6:09

using the so-called space repetition.

6:11

You can use apps which are based on this system such as Anki or Memrise,

6:15

or you can write lists of word in a notebook using the Goldlist method,

6:19

which is also very popular with many polyglots.

6:21

If you're not sure which methods are effective and what is available out there,

6:25

just check out polyglots' YouTube channels and websites

6:28

and get inspiration from them.

6:30

If it works for them, it will most probably work for you too.

 

6:34

The third principle to follow

System

6:36

is to create a system in your learning.

6:39

We're all very busy and no one really has time to learn a language today.

6:43

But we can create that time if we just plan a bit ahead.

6:47

Can you wake up 15 minutes earlier than you normally do?

6:51

That would be the perfect time to revise some vocabulary.

6:54

Can you listen to a podcast on your way to work while driving?

6:58

Well, that would be great to get some listening experience.

7:01

There are so many things we can do without even planning that extra time,

7:05

such as listening to podcasts on our way to work

7:07

or doing our household chores.

7:09

The important thing is to create a plan in the learning.

7:12

"I will practice speaking every Tuesday and Thursday

7:15

with a friend for 20 minutes.

 

7:17

I will listen to a YouTube video while having breakfast."

7:21

If you create a system in your learning,

7:24

you don't need to find that extra time,

7:26

because it will become a part of your everyday life.

7:29

And finally, if you want to learn a language fluently,

7:33

you need also a bit of patience.

Success

7:36

It's not possible to learn a language within two months,

7:39

but it's definitely possible to make a visible improvement in two months,

7:43

if you learn in small chunks every day in a way that you enjoy.

7:47

And there is nothing that motivates us more

7:49

than our own success.

7:51

I vividly remember the moment

7:53

when I understood the first joke in German when watching "Friends."

7:57

I was so happy and motivated

 

7:59

that I just kept on watching that day two more episodes,

8:02

and as I kept watching,

8:03

I had more and more of those moments of understanding, these little victories,

8:08

and step by step, I got to a level where I could use the language

8:11

freely and fluently to express anything.

8:14

This is a wonderful feeling.

8:16

I can't get enough of that feeling,

8:18

and that's why I learn a language every two years.

8:21

So this is the whole polyglot secret.

8:23

Find effective methods which you can use systematically

8:26

over the period of some time in a way which you enjoy,

8:29

and this is how polyglots learn languages within months, not years.

8:35

Now, some of you may be thinking,

8:36

"That's all very nice to enjoy language learning,

8:39

but isn't the real secret that you polyglots

8:41

are just super talented and most of us aren't?"

8:45

Well, there's one thing I haven't told you about Benny and Lucas.

8:49

Benny had 11 years of Irish Gaelic and five years of German at school.

8:55

He couldn't speak them at all when graduating.

8:58

Up to the age of 21, he thought he didn't have the language gene

9:02

and he could not speak another language.

9:04

Then he started to look for his way of learning languages,

9:07

which was speaking to native speakers and getting feedback from them,

9:11

and today Benny can easily have a conversation in 10 languages.

9:17

Lucas tried to learn English at school for 10 years.

9:20

He was one of the worst students in class.

9:23

His friends even made fun of him

9:24

and gave him a Russian textbook as a joke

9:27

because they thought he would never learn that language, or any language.

9:31

And then Lucas started to experiment with methods,

9:33

looking for his own way to learn,

9:36

for example, by having Skype chat conversations with strangers.

9:40

And after just 10 years,

9:42

Lucas is able to speak 11 languages fluently.

9:47

Does that sound like a miracle?

9:49

Well, I see such miracles every single day.

9:52

As a language mentor,

9:54

I help people learn languages by themselves,

9:56

and I see this every day.

9:57

People struggle with language learning for five, 10, even 20 years,

10:02

and then they suddenly take their learning into their own hands,

10:05

start using materials which they enjoy, more effective methods,

10:09

or they start tracking their learning

10:11

so that they can appreciate their own progress,

10:14

and that's when suddenly

10:16

they magically find the language talent that they were missing all their lives.

10:21

So if you've also tried to learn a language

10:23

and you gave up, thinking it's too difficult

10:26

or you don't have the language talent,

10:28

give it another try.

10:29

Maybe you're also just one enjoyable method away

10:32

from learning that language fluently.

10:34

Maybe you're just one method away from becoming a polyglot.

10:38

Thank you.

10:40

(Applause)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_XVt5rdpFY&t=8s

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

♦♦...গুরুত্বপূর্ণ Site...♦♦

AI Website

Android Apps-2024